Individually and collectively we’ve been making strides towards our vision of equitable youth nature connection in San Francisco. Together, we make it easier for youth to have frequent and quality experiences in nature by expanding opportunities for nature connection in the key realms of childhood — early education, schools, and neighborhoods.
HIGHLIGHTS (2017 to date)
People engaged in hands-on nature programming
Early Childhood Educators trained in nature-based education
Early childhood playspaces enhanced for nature connection
Tree stumps re-purposed for nature play
- Nature Play Days for preschoolers in neighborhood parks
- Create-with-Nature programming at community events and neighborhood street fairs
- Professional development workshops for educators with local and international experts
- Developing a network of Nature Exploration Areas – where kids are encouraged to create and explore with all of their senses.
- Launching All Hands D-10 initiative, a coordinated approach to offering culturally-relevant, place-based environmental education and everyday nature connection for District 10 children and youth.
- Camp Mather Scholarship Program to provide equitable opportunities for SF families to play outside together
SAN FRANCISCO CHILDREN & NATURE
SF Children & Nature is part of the national Cities Connecting Children to Nature (CCCN) initiative and is working to address the disparities in nature access along socioeconomic and racial lines to ensure all children have the opportunity to play, learn and grow in the outdoors.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT
We’re building a network of nature and play advocates.