Nature for Every Child, Every Day.
“Every child, in every neighborhood, should have the chance to play and explore in nature. Research tells us that being in nature improves our mental and physical health, reduces stress, and even helps heal trauma. All San Franciscans should have access to these health benefits.”
—Mayor London Breed
San Francisco Children & Nature
A CITY-WIDE COLLABORATIVE
SF Children & Nature is a cross-sector collaborative that works to ensure all children & youth growing up in the city have the same opportunities to PLAY, LEARN and GROW in NATURE.
Founded in 2017, SF Children & Nature now includes active participation from over 30 government agencies, non-profit institutions, and community-based organizations.
Individually and collectively we’ve been making strides towards our vision of equitable youth nature connection in San Francisco. Together, we make it easier for youth to have frequent and quality experiences in nature by expanding opportunities for nature connection in the key realms of childhood — early education, schools, and neighborhoods.
HIGHLIGHTS (2017 to date)
People engaged in hands-on nature programming
Early Childhood Educators trained in nature-based education
Early childhood playspaces enhanced for nature connection
Tree stumps re-purposed for nature play
- Nature Play Days for preschoolers in neighborhood parks
- Create-with-Nature programming at community events and neighborhood street fairs
- Professional development workshops for educators with local and international experts
- Developing a network of Nature Exploration Areas – where kids are encouraged to create and explore with all of their senses.
- Launching the All Hands D-10 initiative, a coordinated approach to offering culturally-relevant, place-based environmental education and everyday nature connection for District 10 children and youth.